Tuesday 12 December 2017

Crochet for Christmas



With our move to the Gold Coast coming up (in 2 weeks and 3 days we'll be gone from Sydney!) and a thousand things to do in these last weeks of the year, I am looking for small projects that I can fit in around all the other stuff. I decided to use the yarn that was left over from the Mayan CAL to make some snowflakes.I found a free pattern here and made eight snowflakes - then I ran out of yarn.



They don't look like much when you finish them, but blocking them (on a potholder!) makes all the difference:



I used a 50/50 mix of water and PVA glue to stiffen the flakes:



And then tied them to the last bit of yarn to make a garland. The Christmas tree was already decorated, so I've hung it up in the bookcase. It's a bit silly to have it here now, in the middle of summer, but who cares! I grew up in the Northern hemisphere, so in my mind 'Christmas' will always be linked to 'winter'.



I also made a crocheted Christmas bauble (loosely based on free patterns found here and here) but I'm not sure I really like it...



It's starting to look a lot like Christmas! Last year we moved from Brisbane to Sydney on the 20th of December, so could only put up the tree a few days before Christmas. I'm happy that his year I get to enjoy it a bit longer. We'll have to take it down soon after Christmas of course, for the move is on the 29th, but that's fine. And since the movers will be packing everything this time I am not very stressed about it all. Actually, I can't wait to go back to Queensland. Bring it on!

No comments: