Wednesday 21 September 2016

Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2016: Colourful Pencils



Here is my second entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy Ellis from Amy's Creative Side: Colourful Pencils. Regular readers of this blog have seen it quite recently, for I made it only a few months ago.



It is inspired by an original art print designed by Melbourne-based graphic artist and illustrator Harper and Charlie. I saw this print last year in November and immediately thought that it would make a great patchwork quilt. I contacted them to ask for permission to make a quilt inspired by this design and was very happy when they said yes!



Colourful Pencils is quilted very densely with Aurifil 40wt threads in matching colours:



For the binding I used a lovely stripey fabric:



The quilt measures 31'' x 51''. It now hangs in my son's room - he loves the 3D effect. The pattern for this wall hanging is available in my pattern store on Etsy.



I am entering this quilt in the ROYGBIV Quilts Category (rainbow quilts). Do check out some of the other quilts in the Festival as well - there is so much eye candy and inspiration to be found!

13 comments:

Hitch and Thread said...

That is very cool. I love the way the pencils move.

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

This is just so clever, Linda. I love the design being on the diagonal and you've translated the shade/shadow perfectly. I bet you spent hours hunched over your Kona Colour Card to make this one!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

This is a fabulous and fun finish, and you made some smart quilting decisions. Well done!

Johanna said...

How cool! What a neat pattern and great use of colour.

Havplenty said...

This is a really cool quilt. I thought of pencils at first glance before I read your text. good luck in the BQF.

tushay3 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Bernie Kringel said...

Wow! This is exceptional. Great design, colors are wonderful, the tightly spaced quilting works wonderfully and the 3-D effect is fantastic. Love all of it.

Sewmotion said...

I love your quilt, so much movement, and the piecing is so clever! Congratulations on a great design!

Lena Pugacheva said...

Stunning design, perfect choice of colors to achieve 3D effect, great quilting - neat all around!

Ben said...

Cool design, wonderfully done.

Poppyprint said...

A perfect inspiration to design to finish story. Love it!

Catherine said...

What a stunning quilt - you took inspiration from another source but really made it your own. It's beautiful.

Melva said...

Love the colored pencils. It would be perfect for the wall of an art class. Fun!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I'm too late to vote, but I would have voted for this - I love it!