Sunday 8 June 2014

Thinking of Holland



This quilt was made in November 2013. It was my entry for Living Colour! but it was not selected. I was very disappointed, as the theme really spoke to me and I knew immediately that I would make a quilt showing the famous flower fields in Holland. Initially I called it Flower Fields Forever, but I changed the name to Thinking of Holland, because it does really remind me of my home country.



We lived close to those fields in the last few years before we moved to Australia and, yes, they really are so vividly colourful! (here are some great photos). I had to add a windmill, cliché or not - they have such an attractive shape and there were lots of them where we used to live. And you will recognise the bicycle as the one I used in my Cycle of Life quilt (based on a photo of my husband and our youngest son).



I used my favourite Aurifil thread for piecing and quilting. The quilt is hanging over our dinner table and I am enjoying looking at it every day. But I am also happy that it is going to travel around Australia soon, as part of the World of Colour exhibition organised by Berry Patchwork. It is even going to Uluru! How I wish I could go and see it there!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It is beautiful Linda!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

It's a stunning quilt, Linda, I really love the perspective and yes, I recognized the bicycle picture from the header of your blog. The windmill is such a Dutch icon that to leave it out would have been folly.

Jantine said...

This is a stunnung quilt, really love it!

Quilting Dee said...

Love the quilt. It is very Dutch and reminds me of our time in Holland. Stunning!

Brenda said...

I LOVE tulips! One day I will get to the Netherlands...