Thursday 12 May 2011

Cycle of Life



May I present to you: Cycle of Life!

This art quilt was made in 2010 and juried into the State of the Art quilt 11 exhibition, which will be shown at the Textile Art Festival in Brisbane, June 11-13, 2011.

Initially I was asked not to show the full quilt until the show had started, but now a photo of the quilt has been published on the Festival's website and I have been told I can show it here as well.

This is a whole-cloth quilt; the background fabric is a hand-dyed piece from Lisa Walton. The cyclists are screen printed and their shadows are stenciled with a Paintstick using freezer paper stencils. The quilt is machine quilted.

I used photos of my boys and my husband to make the images (except image 4 and 5). I am especially fond of the third image: my middle son riding his bike without the trainer wheels for the first time (see here).

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Linda! It is wonderful! Clever!

Hugz

Jennie said...

Your own personal 'Evolution of Man'! It's a beautiful celebration of your family.

becced said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful piece which captures very special moments in time! The shadowing is great and really adds to the piece.

Candy said...

Very fabulous. Having cyclist in my family I really love this.
candy

Linda Mac said...

I have to show Cycle of Life to my friend who's husband has owned the town bicycle shop for years and years. Great job.

Jantine said...

Hij is schitterend, wat leuk, die opgroeiende fietser en dan te weten dat je eigen familie er op staat ;-). Echt prachtig! Petje af meid.

Rachel Parris said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I am so happy I dropped by. I LOVE this quilt. I would really like to read more about how you managed the shadows if this is something you would share.

Quiltloversnl said...

So beautiful! And this is how paintstik can be used, great!

Dianne said...

Very clever quilt Linda, and congratulations on being juried in. Look forward to seeing the piece in real life at the Textile show. Dianne.

Bozena Wojtaszek said...

Hi Linda,

I love this quilt - great idea and perfect execution. Super!

PeggySue said...

Congratulations! I like how the quilting complements to movement of the images. Very nice piece!

Lisa Walton said...

Great use of the hand dyed fabric Linda. Thanks for credit too.

Judy Warner said...

Hi Linda,
I left a comment last week but the blogger problems deleted it. I really loved this piece - the quilting is brilliant and the whole cloth effect is perfect. Congrats!

Astrid said...

Wow! Superb!

Jackie said...

Definitely my fav quilt of yours.. absolutely emotional and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Linda,
Prachtig deze Quilt!
Een echt "document" voor het leven. die paintsticks werken erg fijn
groet Stineke