Tuesday 2 December 2008

Auckland, stars and a rainbow

Last Sunday I came back from Auckland. I had a very good time there - the conference was interesting, I met some very nice people, the weather was lovely (it made me realize how much I miss the long summer evenings and the twilight...) and I did some great sightseeing. For some photos of Auckland, please visit my other blog

On Saturday I took the ferry to Devonport, a beautiful, old (well, relatively old, of course ;-)) suburb on the northside and indulged in some serious shopping. There were a few good second hand bookshops, a wonderful toyshop and a great quiltshop. At the last one I bought some kiwi fabric, a book and a magazine. The lady at the counter told me there was an exhibition by a local quilt group on the other side of the road - so of course I went there!

The group is called Shore Thing and the exhibition was called Not Just Another Exhibition ... Again By Shore Thing. Featuring Kites, Dolls, Quilts, Fish, Fabric Art, Journals, Gifts, Sales Table Dye-in-Fabric (which I completely overlooked!).

It was a great exhibition - I made lots of photos and asked if I could put them on my blog. I could, so here are a few:






They had some second hand books (quilting and other)and magazines for sale and I bought quite a few. What a great way to spend a day in a new city!

On Sunday, when I came back home, it was the last day of the stellar challenge at ATWI20Q, - time to show all the quilts. I am not very happy with my stellar quilt, but there are some gorgeous quilts over there, so be sure to go and check them out!

On Monday I had an email from the 2QAQ State of the Art Quilt Show. Sadly, my Rainbow quilt was not selected. Well, it was made in less than a week by a very inexperienced wannabee art quilter... so I was not surprised (but a bit sad, I confess). However, I can now show it to you:



I still like the design of the quilt, but technically it could be better. I don't know yet if I am gong to keep it or cut it up to make postcards and ATCs. What do you think?

3 comments:

lisette said...

put it away and decide later - i was fairly crushed by my first rejection (not that i thought it was a fabulous quilt but i did feel i was no good) and have only been able to look at the quilt again recently (18 months later)

i like your rainbow quilt - especially the zigzaggy border. it has a really interesting composition.

just don't do anything rash like cut it up :)

Marie-Thérèse said...

Hi Linda, don't be too sad. They have all kinds of reasons why they reject your quilt. Not always because this quilt is not a good art-quilt. May-be your quilt did not fit into the overall exhibition this time. Keep this one like it is. Do not cut it up. Make a new art quilt, but a bit different. If you want to be an art quilter, you must learn to accept that others might not like your work. But that is always their opinion.
Groetjes (nog) uit Parijs :o)

Jantine said...

Just keep it! It is a shame to cut it up. You can if you still don't like it as "How I started" inabout 5 years ;-)